Friday, June 6, 2008

I´ve been asked many times, if I could teach how to draw and how to paint with my art style, and I always answer, that I couldn´t. Actually, as I´m a self-taught, it´s very hard for me to teach anybody... I´m just used to paint with my feelings. Before beginning an artwork, I´ve got a main idea. Nevertheless, when I´m done, my painting usually doesn´t look like my first idea!
The only thing I can do, is to show step by step, how I paint.
I took pictures of one of my last watercolors on paper, I did for an up-coming exhibit in Malaga (Spain). I was inspired by a Miguel Hernandez poem:

-arcón donde la Luna es tul de plata-
se hecha la leda astral como una joya.

My model is the French singer and actress, Vanessa Paradis. This is not the first time I paint her. Like all my models, she is a sensitive, sweet, interesting and nice personn, that I like to portrait.

For more informations concerning Vanessa, here are two websites:

The official one(French): http://www.vanessaparadis.fr/
and also a very nice one in Spanish: http://www.vanessaparadis.es/
Time to show you, step by step, the way I paint:
1rst step:

I first draw the main character. In my artworks, the most important are the characters so I always spend many hours and days on them. they are the one, who will seduce spectators...
I always began to draw with a pencil and then I do it with the watercolor.

2nd step:

I paint the face, trying to give life to it´s looking. I play with light and shadow colors and the pale color of the Moon, using blue tones.

3rd step:

Then I continue with some colors on the dress, designing the patterns that will simbolize the Moon. I also draw a mantilla, that will represent the milky way and a peineta in the hair. The golden neckless are the stars...

4th step:

I add more colors and patterns to the dress, that I surround then with golden painting. I also define the room where the Moon is walking and in the back, you can already see the Malaga´s Alcazaba .

5th step:

Here is the finished watercolour, that I called: "Tul de plata"!

No comments: